Thursday, October 11, 2007

Dropping the "Mom" Bomb


So I've been with my fiancee for over three years. I love his family (yes, I do actually love my in-laws!), and his mother is very sweet. Here's the problem though...

I NEED to start calling my MIL (mother-in-law) "Mom". I look at her like one of my 2nd mom's (I used to look at my Aunt and my old next-door neighbor like 2nd mom's too). The thing is, that I'm in the habit of calling her, her name for so long that it's hard to suddenly change it to "mom".

Sure, I look at her like a mom, when she calls me she says "Hi, it's mom", and has even said "I'll be so honored when you call me mom". I think maybe I'm afraid of my fiancee's family thinking I'm a kiss ass, lol. Not sure.

So how did you go about calling your significant others family "Mom" or "Dad"?

Lastly, did your parent or parents take offense to you calling someone else their rightful "name"?

7 comments:

Skryker said...

I always called my MIL by her first name, since that's how she always identified herself to me. I don't remember calling my FIL anything-I never had to get his attention for something. I wish I'd called him Dad before he died, because that's how I thought of him.

I don't think my parents would worry about it. I called my friend's Mom Mom, too-and they were 5 houses away.

prin said...

Oh, never. Never ever. lol After 6 years? Never.

I don't even call my ma "mom". Nobody gets that title in my life.

My dad did have a bit of an issue with being called Grandpa to the doggies though. He got over it. :D

Prettylyf said...

I've always called her -mum- and mine I call -moms- it makes things easier and oh well...moms isn't offended by it
He too calls mine moms and his mum it's like out own little code to know which one we're referring to in conversations lol

Technodoll said...

I finally made it over to Angel's site! *happy dance* and linked you to my blog... yeah!

I've never called anyone mom or dad except my mom and dad. I've made up or found nicknames for the "in laws" sometimes, but that's about it.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

Daszzle said...

I know this is really not the same at all, but my sister's old boyfriend (boyfriend and not fiance) would call my mom "mom" all the freakin' time. I hated it. Call it jealousy if you will. So I say call her whatever you're comfortable with. Maybe by not calling her mom your saving someone else from feeling uncomfortable as well.

Zedder said...

yeah, im on the nevar evar side of it too...
I think mostly because I would never call Guys parents what I call my parents. I just dont like them one bit. They, for the most part, are evil decieptful people.
Guy is just happy I will say hi to them right now lol

Ryansgirl said...

I remember the first time I called my mil mom. I called her that after me and my husband had been together for about 3 years and we have been together for almost 10 now. It was weird at first but after awhile I just got used to it. My mom did get mad when I started calling my mil mom but you have to know my mom, she gets mad over every little thing. We just didn't mind her though and she eventually got over it.